Kane County Senior Resources
HELD SECOND THURSDAY EACH MONTH AT ELDERDAY CENTER
BATAVIA, IL 60150
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Networking
9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Business Meeting
MINUTES FOR: Thursday, February 12, 2015
- Began at 8:30 a.m.
- Was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by President Liz Wiggins – there is a $1 charge for phones that ring during the meeting, so please silence your phones.
- Pledge of Allegiance was said
- Thank you to Traci at Elderday for hosting the meeting.
- Breakfast was hosted by Tori from Tower Hill Healthcare Center.
- Introductions of visitors and members took place/announcements
- January minutes approved.
President- Liz Wiggins
- Thank you to Carol Murin and Amanda Castro for their service on the board.
Vice President- Tori Garland
Secretary- Nidya Garcia
- Please send any event notifications/announcements to email@example.com.
Treasurer- Al Arellano
- Our current balance is $1874.52
Membership- Cheryl Reis
- The fee for a 2014-2015 year membership is now $25.
- Two representatives from the same organization are allowed per membership.
- An updated sign-in sheet went around; please make any corrections to your name and email.
LEGISLATIVE REPORT: Marla Fronczak
President’s proposed FY 16 budget supports older adults by protecting Social Security & Medicare for future generations, expands the earned income tax credit for older workers; protects worker pensions and provides housing for the elderly
The reality – Investments in aging services have not kept up with inflation or the rapid growth in the senior population; Due to FY 14 sequestration funding was about 15% below FY 10 levels and FY 16 sequester is scheduled to reduce non-defense discretionary funding to a 50 year low as a share of the economy.
Older Americans Act is up for reauthorization
6th White House Conference on Aging – July 2015 – not funded by Congress, will be local listening forums
- 50th anniversary of Medicare, Medicaid and the Older Americans Act
- 80th anniversary of Social Security
- Recognize the importance of these and other key programs for older Americans
- Improve and advance the quality of life for older adults in next decade by focusing on Long-term support services, retirement security, healthy aging and reducing elder abuse
New Governor has eliminated many key staff positions including managers at the IL Dept. on Aging. Unsure of status of on-going projects and spending levels. Will know more when the Governor presents his budget for State FY 16 which begins July 1, 2015.
- Grants totaling $2000 were distributed to Triad, Elderday, Salvation Army, and Aurora Senior Services
- Seniors enjoyed the Pancake Breakfast on December 11th. There were a total of 12 seniors and staff combined. We may consider adding more to the menu like egg dishes, fruit, and hash browns. Changing the time to 10am may result in a better turn out.
- The January 8th meeting was held at Oscar Swan. The variety of food was great.
- Membership dues will remain $50 for 2015-2016.
- Breakfast sponsor Tori gave a brief description of the facilities and services offered at Tower Hill
- The Hording Task Force is taking place March 4th in Elgin. Thank you to our volunteers that are representing KCSR.
- We are tentatively scheduled for Discharge Planner Vendor Fair and lunch at Delnor on Tuesday, March 31 from 11:30-1:30.
- The Holmstad will be hosting their Annual Senior Fitness and Health Fair on Wednesday, May 27. We will need volunteers to represent the group.
- The Super Savvy Senior Expo is scheduled for Wednesday, June 3rd. The application for participation will be distributed shortly.
Angela Flintz, First Response
Next meeting will be held on Thursday, March 12th.
- Networking at 8:30 a.m. with breakfast provided by Colleen Murphy from Vital Wellness Home Health
- Meeting at 9 a.m.
- Speaker will be Donna Sperlakis from Rush-Copley on Parkinson’s Disease