Kane County Senior Resources
HELD SECOND THURSDAY EACH MONTH AT ELDERDAY CENTER
BATAVIA, IL 60150
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Networking
9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Business Meeting
MINUTES FOR: Thursday, August 14, 2014
- Began at 8:30 a.m.
- Was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by President Liz Wiggins – there will now be a $1 charge for phones that ring during the meeting, so please silence your phones.
- Pledge of Allegiance was said
- Thank you to Traci at Elderday for hosting the meeting.
- Breakfast was hosted by Kathy Wetters from Right at Home
- Introductions of visitors and members took place/announcements
- June minutes were reviewed and there were no corrections, so they were approved by group motion.
President- Liz Wiggins
Vice President- Gail Gauger
Secretary- Amanda Castro
- Please send any event notifications/announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Treasurer- Al Arellano
- Our current balance is $4660.53
Membership- Carol Murrin
- The directory has been updated, the proofing committee will review it and then it will go to the printer.
- An updated sign-in sheet went around; please make any corrections to your name and email.
LEGISLATIVE REPORT: Marla Fronczak/Royce Blackwell
Royce – The annual report from the Social Security and Medicare trustees predicted that Medicare Part A will be solvent until 2030, four years later than the trustees predicted last year. This is due to the recent slowdown in Medicare spending, the Affordable Care Act and a stronger economy.
- KCSR held an After-Hours on Wednesday July 16th at Sunnymere, which was also their 75th anniversary. The party was a lot of fun and it included a ribbon cutting ceremony by the Aurora Chamber.
- The fall event Committee met and decided that we are going to host a “German Fest” at St. Paul’s on Friday, September 19th from 11:30-1pm. St. Paul’s has a senior Vacation Bible School and Friday is there last day, so they will be invited to stay for lunch. Plus, we will be inviting seniors from the community via buildings and senior centers to attend as well. A sign-up sheet went around determining who is bringing/sponsoring which items. We will begin set up at 10:00am on Friday and we expect everyone to pitch-in in some way. If you can’t make it to the event, but signed up for an item, please drop it off at the church the day before. The flyer will go out to the buildings and registration is due by September 10th, so we have the final head count for the next KCSR meeting.
- The board proposed amendments to KCSR bylaws to clarify terms of membership. The flyer was passed out and emailed to the membership, we will vote in September.
- We are looking to form a committee for the annual Legislative Forum, which will be held December 8th. KCSR is a breakfast sponsor again this year; please contact Marla Fronczak,(email@example.com) if you are interested in joining the committee.
- We put it out to the group whether we would like to have a Holiday Afterhours this year, or do the breakfast again. There was some support for moving the breakfast back to Oscar Swan, Liz and Al are going to look into it.
- We asked the group if they would like to host some sort of holiday event just for Elderday, since they donate our meeting space all year. The group liked the idea of doing a pancake breakfast in place of our December meeting and then moving the holiday party to January.
Jan Seiffert from Juice Plus+ presented on the benefits of growing your own produce with their aeroponic Tower Garden. She also had the Juice Plus+ Capsules and Gummies available to taste.
Meeting Adjourned at 10:00 a.m.
Next meeting will be held on Thursday, September 11th
- Networking at 8:30 a.m. with breakfast provided by Cheryl Reis from Brightstar
- Meeting at 9 a.m.
- Speaker will be Dan Parsons