Kane County Senior Resources
HELD SECOND THURSDAY EACH MONTH AT ELDERDAY CENTER
BATAVIA, IL 60150
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Networking
9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Business Meeting
MINUTES FOR: Thursday, March 13, 2014
- Began at 8:30 a.m.
- Was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by President Liz Wiggins – there will now be a $1 charge for phones that ring during the meeting, so please silence your phones.
- Pledge of Allegiance was said
- Thank you to Traci at Elderday for hosting the meeting.
- Breakfast was hosted by Brighton Gardens
- Introductions of visitors and members took place/announcements
- February minutes were reviewed and there were no corrections, so they were approved by group motion.
President- Liz Wiggins
Vice President- Gail Gauger
- We are looking for breakfast sponsors and speakers for this year. Please feel free to reach out to contacts that you know that you think would be an interesting topic for the group to learn about, or let Gail know and she can reach out for you.
- We are looking for volunteers to be on an event committee to brainstorm ideas for a fall event. We need commitment by April if we are going forward with the fall senior fair.
Secretary- Amanda Castro
- Please send any event notifications/announcements to email@example.com.
- The website is up! Please check it to make sure your information is accurate in the directory.
Treasurer- Cindy Bruce
- Cindy couldn’t be here today, but she sent our balance sheet.
- Our current balance is $1,690.03
Membership- Carol Murrin
- The directory is complete and is here today, please take some and distribute them. A HUGE thank you to Liz and Sherry for helping to proof the directories!
- An updated sign-in sheet went around; please make any corrections to your name and email.
LEGISLATIVE REPORT: Marla Fronczak/Royce Blackwell
- Federal –Marla Fronczak – The President released his 2015 budget. This budget reflects approximately the same spending levels as 2014. The President requested $25 million for an Elder Justice initiative to address the negative effects of abuse, neglect and exploitation on the health and independence of senior and making an investment in APS. Elder abuse is the only form of domestic violence that is not federally funded.
- State – Marla Fronczak – The Governor delayed the budget until end of March stating that they need time to determine where it will get revenue when the Income tax increase expires in January. The appropriations from the State of Illinois to IDOA have been delayed due to the budget which affects the Agency on Aging funding local providers. The Medicare Medicaid Alignment Initiative started in February and 30,000 letters were sent out to dual eligible (Medicare/Medicaid qualified) participants in suburban Cook County and 5 collar counties including Kane County. These letters are from HFS and outline the six plans to choose from and discuss how they can opt out of the managed care initiative and return to traditional fee for service Medicare/Medicaid. If someone is receiving Long Term Support Services (LTSS) either Medicaid funded room and board in a NH, Supportive Living or the Community Care Program – they must choose a plan for those services. Anyone who does not choose a plan will be passively enrolled in a plan. 144,000 seniors and disabled persons will be the target population for this Managed Care initiative. Marla offered to answer any managed care questions if you send them to her and she will be a speaker at the June meeting.
- Breakfast with the Delnor Discharge Planners was held March 6th we had 30 members and 12 planners attend. The overall feedback was great. They were thankful for the breakfast and information that we provided to them in the bags and our members said that they appreciated the face time they got to spend with the planners. We will be reaching out to the discharge planners at Copley to see if we can set up a breakfast with them as well.
- TRIAD fundraiser May 22nd at Delnor Glen – Premier Jewelry party. We will receive 50% of profits if she is able to book 3 parties. Jewelry is around $30 each. Delnor will be providing the food and drinks.
- Batavia Senior Expo Wednesday June 4th – KCSR will have table. We need volunteers to work the table.
- KCSR After-Hours – Wednesday July 16th at Sunnymere (also their 75th anniversary). No regular July meeting will be held.
- Cindy Bruce, Diane Buckelman and Danielle Leach are planning to audit our books this month and then report back to us. According to the bylaws we need to audit every two years.
Senior Services and Associates presented on the Adult Protective Services and Ombudsmen programs that they offer.
Next meeting will be held on Thursday, April 10th
- Networking at 8:30 a.m. with breakfast provided by Jen Pugh – A Place For Mom
- Meeting at 9 a.m.
- Edna Groves will be presenting on Your Life is Your Legacy: Four-letter Words to Live By: Discovering the values which underlie your decisions and actions, and are embedded in your legacy.