Kane County Senior Resources
HELD SECOND THURSDAY EACH MONTH AT ELDERDAY CENTER
BATAVIA, IL 60150
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Networking
9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Business Meeting
MINUTES FOR: Thursday, November 14, 2013
- Began at 8:30 a.m.
- Was called to order at 9:05 a.m. by President Marla Fronczak
- Pledge of Allegiance was said
- Thank you to Traci at Elderday for hosting the meeting.
- Breakfast was hosted by Christianah Olatunji from New Era Support.
- October minutes were reviewed and there were no corrections, so they were approved by group motion.
President- Marla Fronczak
Vice President- Liz Wiggins
- KCSR is sponsoring the legislative Forum will take place on Monday, December 9th from 8:30-11:30am at the Pottawatomie Community Center in St. Charles. We are hosting the meeting and paying for the breakfast, please help make this event successful by attending and bringing seniors to the event. Preserving Our Safety Net Programs is the theme this year and will include the following topics:
- Home Delivered Meal Programs
- Ride in Kane
- Supportive and Protective Services
Secretary- Amanda Castro
- Please send any event notifications/announcements to email@example.com.
Treasurer- Mary Pat English
- Our current balance is $5,416.97
Membership- (Carol Murrin- interim chair)
- The directory is close to being completed. All the categories are done and laid out. They are hoping to have them for the December meeting, but if not they will have them available in January.
- An updated sign-in sheet went around; please make any corrections to your name and email.
LEGISLATIVE REPORT: Marla Fronczak/Royce Blackwell
- On November 8, 2013 Food Stamp benefits were cut to more than 47 million Americans as the temporary ARRA funding from the federal program ended without a new budget from a deadlocked Congress to replace it. Under the program, known formally as the Supplemental Nutrition and Assistance Program, or SNAP, a family of four that gets $668 per month in benefits will find that amount cut by $36. SNAP, which benefits one in seven Americans, is administered by the Department of Agriculture and is authorized in a five-year omnibus farm bill covering all agricultural programs. Vulnerable populations such as the elderly and those with disabilities will be impacted the hardest.
- Congress did not pass the FY 14 budget or a Continuing Resolution on October 1st which was the beginning of the fiscal year and the government shut down. Congress agreed to a temporary fix and reopened the government until January 15th when they must again try to pass a budget for FY 14.
- Board Nominations:
- Liz Wiggins- President
- Gail Gauger- Vice President
- Cindy Bruce- Treasurer
- Amanda Castro – Secretary
- Carol Murin & Sherry Rolczynski- Membership (2 positions open)
- In lieu of the December meeting we will be celebrating with a hot breakfast that will be paid for by KCSR dues. Only members are invited and you MUST RSVP in order to attend. We will also be circulating the Elderday Wish List, so please consider a donation to Elderday this Holiday Season. The board election and grants will also be awarded at the December breakfast.
- It was purposed by Marla to change our membership to a calendar year, in order to have more time to organize/print the directories each year. Some discussion took place, but due to time constraints please send your concerns to us via our email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Introductions of visitors and members took place/announcements
Michael Barr from VNA Healthcare talked about the new Affordable Care Act and Health Insurance Enrollment Assistance. For more information or assistance on signing up you can contact the VNA directly at 630-892-4355, or visit www.getcoveredillinois.gov
Meeting Adjourned at 10:30 a.m.
Next month the Holiday Breakfast will be held on Thursday, December 12th. You must RSVP to email@example.com if you plan on attending.