Kane County Senior Resources
HELD SECOND THURSDAY EACH MONTH AT ELDERDAY CENTER
BATAVIA, IL 60150
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Networking
9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Business Meeting
MINUTES FOR: Thursday, July 11, 2013
- Began at 8:30 a.m.
- Was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by President Marla Fronczak
- Pledge of Allegiance was said
- Thank you to Traci at Elderday for hosting the meeting.
- No minutes from June, since we hosted the Pancake Breakfast
- Breakfast was hosted by Cathy Duer from Delnor Glen
President- Marla Fronczak
- We would like to welcome Liz Wiggins to the board as Vice President!
Vice President- Liz Wiggins
- Liz passed around a new list for breakfast sponsors and speakers; if you are interested and didn’t get your name on the list please email us.
Secretary- Amanda Whitman
- Please send any event notifications/announcements to email@example.com.
- Only paid members will receive the e-blast containing the meeting reminders, minutes, and announcements. We can also send out PDF’s now.
Treasurer- Mary Pat English
- Our current balance is $4,441.97, which will go towards the printing of the directory and the fair.
Membership- Anna Morgese
- If you have not paid, or paid but did not turn in your application this is your last chance to be in the directory. The committee is meeting the week of the 15th to start the assembly process. Please see Anna immediately if you have questions – the current status sheet of members who were pd/not pd went around the room.
- Please check the sign in sheet for accuracy.
LEGISLATIVE REPORT: Marla Fronczak/Royce Blackwell
- The Adult Protective Services Act was signed into law on July 1, 2013. Senior Services and Associates and IL Dept. on Aging elder abuse case workers can/will start investing cases of abuse, neglect and exploitation of seniors and adults with disabilities.
- Traci thanked the group for their hard work at the Pancake Breakfast on behalf of the committee who helped to organize it.
- We had 52 registered attendees (not including the 13 unregistered Elderday clients. – total of 65!!!) Of that 52 – 29 were independent individuals (i.e. not from a facility).
- The survey results showed that they were most interested in hearing about Medicare Changes, Nutrition, Transportation and Socialization
- We have their contact information and will be sending them invitations to the senior fair in September.
- In June we held our first After Hours event at Sunnymere in Aurora. About 12 members attended and we had refreshments provided by Sunnymere. The next event will be held at Heritage Woods of Batavia on Thursday, July 25th from 4-6pm, guests are invited as well. They will be having an Island theme and they encourage you to RSVP to Jennifer Hanke at 630-593-4005 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Introductions of visitors and members took place/announcements
- The 12th Annual KCSR Senior Health Fair is scheduled for Saturday, October 5, 2013. Liz Wiggins has agreed to chair the fair. She sent around a signup sheet for committee chairs and members to sign up. We had an open discussion about ideas for the fair and what the members think about continuing the fair – here are some things to consider
- We need at least 40 people committed to having a table to even break even on this event. Please let us know no later than Friday July 26 if you plan to attend. Email Liz at email@example.com and be sure to put KCSR FAIR in the subject line. A simple “yes” or “no” will do.
- The cost should come down this year, we proposed members would only pay $40 for tables
- Last year we had over 200 people attend the fair.
- We discussed the possibility of having breakout sessions/speakers instead of entertainment, or even to go along with the entertainment.
- Last year the old prescription collection service was a big hit and we would like to see that again. Maybe TRIAD could sponsor (Kevin Williams would be there?)
- It was proposed that we DO NOT have individual raffles at the tables, but instead put some of the registration money towards a couple large cash prizes and then some smaller gift cards, must be present to win to keep people there longer –also must fill out a quiz or “bingo” sheet to register?
- We also still liked having the screenings, but maybe not the flu shots since they are so widely available now? Screenings could be spread among the vendors tables to bring more people to the floor?
- Meeting Adjourned at 10:30 a.m.
- Next month the meeting will be held on Thursday, August 8th. Breakfast will be provided by Carol Murin from Solutions for Long Term Care, Inc.
- Networking at 8:30 a.m.
- Meeting at 9 a.m.